• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding new malts - what stats?

DarkCharlie

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi folks -

I'm trying to put together tmave pivo (dark Czech beer) recipes, since I loved the beer I had when I was in Prague. Actually, it's what really got me into homebrewing. One reciped that I've found on HBD's Recipator site has the following malts, for which there are no obvious entries in Beersmith:

CaraHell
Carafa I
Carafa III

Anybody have any ideas on where to find complete stats for these malts? Or if there are good substitutes already in the BeerSmith grain definitions? I've found some of the basics out there, but not full info to create a good listing in BeerSmith.

Of course, I haven't gone AG quite yet, so I can't brew it yet, but soon... |:)

By the way, Brad, I love the program - even with my lowly extract recipes, it's been great. And I'm making lots of use of the conversion tools ("how many grams are in an ounce? I don't get this metric stuff").

Many thanks,

charlie

Charlie,

-------------------------
CaraHelles is very close to a 10L Caramel malt in terms of brewing specs.  The others are below and will be posted as a data update on the site shortly.

Also - if you are using other units I might note you can do MOST conversions directly in ANY field without using the conversion tools - just include the "units" after the amount.  For example if you enter "10 l" into a volume field it will automatically convert from liters to your current measure.  Similarly put in "50g" of hops will convert it to ounces (assuming you are using ounces).  This works for temperatures, volumes, weights, pressures, etc...

Cheers!
Brad
-----------------------------------------------------------
Carafa I
Origin: Germany Color: 337 SRM
Supplier: Weyermann Must Mash: No
Type: Grain Add After Boil: No
Potential: 1.032 SG Diastatic Power: 0.0 Lin
Dry Yield: 70.0 % Max in Batch: 5.0 %
Coarse/Fine Diff: 1.5 % Protein: 11.7 %
Moisture: 4.0 %

Notes
Used to intensify aroma and color in dark, Munich beers and stouts.
----------------------------------------------------------
Carafa II
Origin: Germany Color: 412 SRM
Supplier: Weyermann Must Mash: No
Type: Grain Add After Boil: No
Potential: 1.032 SG Diastatic Power: 0.0 Lin
Dry Yield: 70.0 % Max in Batch: 5.0 %
Coarse/Fine Diff: 1.5 % Protein: 11.7 %
Moisture: 4.0 %

Notes
Used to intensify aroma and color in dark, Munich beers and stouts.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad -

Thanks! That helps a bunch. If I ever get my AG stuff together (more specifically, if springtime ever comes to NY so I can assemble it all) and it turns out nicely, I'll submit any house recipes.

I've used the in-field conversion quite a bit for recipes, since a lot are in metric - a great utilty. I do use the standalone conversions for when I'm weighing hops & the like, since grams are a whole lot easier to dole out than tenths of an ounce. |:)

Thanks again,

charlie

Back