• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ISO-good flavor, easy, cheap beer recipe

S

schlemoc

hi,
i'm new to the beer brewing process.  i was looking over some guiness and stout recipes, but since i am fairly broke, those i believe are unattainable, for now at least.  i have been making wine for almost a year now, so i know the general process behind it.  i also have done some research.  this website helps out a lot.  i am in search of a cheaper recipe for brewing 5 gallons of beer that also has a good flavor to it.  simplicity would be nice, but not necessary.  thanks for all those with input.

I don't think you'll find it any cheaper to make a non-stout.  You just use lighter malt instead of dark malt.  I extract brew and typically use 6-8 pounds of dry malt extract($20-$26), .5-1 pounds of adjunct grain (crystal malt) for color and head retention ($?..can't remember, but not much), 2-3 oz of hops ($1-$3), and one package of dry yeast($1.25).  Totals out to about $26-$28 a batch no matter how I do it.  You "could" use less malt, but you did specify you wanted beer with flavor, right?  And using regular sugar to add volume instead of malt is cheaper, but there's that flavor thing again.  :)

Good luck, whichever way you go...

I don't think you'll find it any cheaper to make a non-stout.  You just use lighter malt instead of dark malt.  I extract brew and typically use 6-8 pounds of dry malt extract($20-$26), .5-1 pounds of adjunct grain (crystal malt) for color and head retention ($?..can't remember, but not much), 2-3 oz of hops ($1-$3), and one package of dry yeast($1.25).  Totals out to about $26-$28 a batch no matter how I do it.  You "could" use less malt, but you did specify you wanted beer with flavor, right?  And using regular sugar to add volume instead of malt is cheaper, but there's that flavor thing again.  :)

Good luck, whichever way you go...

what is the difference between malt and sugar?  i currently got a john bull kit for roughly $12.  all i had to do was add sugar, yeast, and water.  i am going to see how that turns out.  hopefully it is palitable so then i can accumulate funds to create a good recipe.  thank you for your input. ;D

Using regular table sugar gives beer a decidedly cidery or winey taste.  If thats what you are going for, have at it, otherwise use malt.
If you have access to a homebrew store or some other retailer, ask if you can special order bulk malt extract.  The local liqour store carries some brewing supplies and lets folks special order for 10%over his cost.  I get 33lb jugs of super light LME for $52.  I understand its a lot upfront, but do the math... a 3.3lb can of LME is ~$10...
If you brew regularly its the way to go.  (Only thing is you have to use it up fairly quickly after opening, otherwise there's more chance of mold in it and the flavor really degrades)
sorry for the epic reply, hope it helps
t

Using regular table sugar gives beer a decidedly cidery or winey taste.  If thats what you are going for, have at it, otherwise use malt.
If you have access to a homebrew store or some other retailer, ask if you can special order bulk malt extract.  The local liqour store carries some brewing supplies and lets folks special order for 10%over his cost.  I get 33lb jugs of super light LME for $52.  I understand its a lot upfront, but do the math... a 3.3lb can of LME is ~$10...
If you brew regularly its the way to go.  (Only thing is you have to use it up fairly quickly after opening, otherwise there's more chance of mold in it and the flavor really degrades)
sorry for the epic reply, hope it helps
t

thanks, i didn't know that one could order bulk supplies upfront.  i was also looking for a way to order larger amounts of ingredients.  that helps alot.  thanks

Back