• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What thermometers work for you?

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey!
Hope you all are having a good day!  Hopefully brewing!
I am!  I'm trying an Anchor Steam clone today.
I'm having trouble with getting my temps, particularly the Mash In.
I have been using two candy thermometers that I just plop in the mash and leave there.
Seems to work OK.  But I am always high.
So, today as I heated up my Strike Water, I decided to put all my thermometers in the water.
I also use the long stemmed stainless steal variety with a clip to use in my keggle.
I believe that one to be pretty accurate.
I also have an El Cheapo digital from the local department store kitchen area.
My two candy thermometers show 170*.
My stainless steel shows 160*.
And my little digital shows 157*.
So, I can see why my mash tun temps are off.
I need to work on this issue.
I use a 48qt cooler for the mash tun.
What do you some of you use to check that temp?
I'd use the stainless steel one, but it doesn't really fit in there.  I usually falls under the mash.
I'd like something that I can just drop in and leave.
Any thoughts?
What are some thermometers that the brewing community are using?
Have a good one ...

I was having doubts about a digital thermo, so I bought a new one and checked all three in ice water.  The old digital was off, so out it went.  The Acu-Rite digital from Target matched the typical yellow 12" glass thermo I have, so I use those two.  The digital is much quicker and easier to read, so it is great for quick reads.  I put the glass one in the mash, and sometimes to check starters to verify it's cool enough to pitch.

http://www.allafrance.com/home.html

for the glass one. 

I use the glass red liquid filled thermometer. It is graduated in 1C incriments and goes from 0 - 110C (You can find them in Fahrenheit also). I found this the most accurate and the best thing is will never go out of adjustment!

Cheers
Preston

UselessBrewing said:
I use the glass red liquid filled thermometer. It is graduated in 1C incriments and goes from 0 - 110C (You can find them in Fahrenheit also). I found this the most accurate and the best thing is will never go out of adjustment!

Cheers
Preston
+1
I use a glass "Lab" thermometer that I got from my LHBS. The glass may be a little fragile but I know my temps are dead on.

Water boils at different temperatures depending on the altitude, but it always freezes at the same temp.
Calibrate all your thermometers at freezing and test again.

As other have suggested.... lab thermometers are the best inexpensive solution but you can't go wrong with a thermocouple. For example the HH11B model from Omega.

Back