• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My dilemma! Same batch 10 gallon one carboy done fermenting, the other not.

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just want to find out if I should just relax with the home brew and not worry or what!
I'll try to keep the setup short.
10 gallon Sierra Nevada clone.  All when well with the mash and boil.
SG = 1056
I have a new keggle that I do not have the spigot and bazooka installed as I am trying to determine where to put the hole.
So, I siphoned the first 5 gals into a carboy and started siphoning the 2nd.
The siphon stopped and I did not want to pour all the trub and leaf hops into the carboy, so I really cleaned my hands and used a strainer to get most of the hops out.  Then I poured the rest of the wort into the 2nd carboy.  So, the 2nd carboy has some trub in, where the 1st is relatively clear.
Everything seemed OK at this point.
I went 2 weeks in the primary.  Racked to the secondary.
1st carboy SG is 1008 at this point.  The 2nd carboy SG is 1022 at this point.
Odd that there is that much difference.
Color, taste, and smell all good.
So, another 2 weeks.
Rack to a tertiary.
1st carboy is 1006.
2nd carboy is 1020.  Still way up there.
Any thoughts as to why this might happen?
Both had a vial of White Labs yeast added.  I did not do a yeast starter.  I know, this is something I should start doing.
Both carboys have been fermenting.
I can be patient and let it be.  Just wondering if I could or should add anything to help it along.
I have the temp around 65* for both of them.
Any questions about what I did or didn't do!
Wondering if I should bottle the first carboy and let the 2nd be until it gets down or just wait.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

My only guess is that due to natural settling of material in the wort (while you we're siphoning the first 5Gal) means the 2nd batch had more fermentables (and non-fermentables) and thus did not ferment as quickly (or completely) as your first 5Gal.

Just my guess - this would be magnified if your used Wirfloc etc. -- keep in mind I just make this sh*t up as I go along

I took the uber lazy approach to my first 10 gal batch and just let it ride for 2 months.  Unqualified, I'd say bottle or keg the finnished beer and enjoy.

Spigot hole height is subjective.  I think I did 3.5" from the bottom.  I still needed elbows to get my diptubes low enough (ridged 1/2" CU) with "T" shapped screen on boiler. Still a WIP.

SkyFlyer said:
..........Then I poured the rest of the wort into the 2nd carboy.  So, the 2nd carboy has some trub in, where the 1st is relatively clear.  Everything seemed OK at this point.

Interesting....I recently switched from stove-top (still AG, full-boil) where I poured every ounce of cold wort into the carboy to an outdoor setup where I toss the first dirty wort that comes thru and then drain only very clean wort into the carboy.  And it's been very clean, as I had a gallon of excess wort I didn't use.

These two ferments with this MUCH cleaner wort have been ferocious, requiring a blow-off tube.  I rarely needed a blowoff tube before.  They each reached decent FGs, but that noticeable diff in fermentation struck me. 

I've read that trub can shear the yeast cell walls, and that too much trub is bad, but have no idea how common that is.  I've never gotten a good explanation for my violent ferms, if anyone has any clues. 

If you aren't already doing so-save the extra wort for yeast starters.  I use 64oz juice bottles. Then toss them in thw freezer.  You don't have to be uber anal with this because you boil the starter before use. 
This maybe obvious, but I was thrilled at the idea on "free" starters, plus AG wort is more fermentable than DME.

That's a good idea.  Over time, I'm hoping to dial in the water math so I quit making the extra wort, but until then, that's a good use.  A friend took the first extra gallon, and I used the 2nd with a yeast starter that got too hot (it quit spinning and blew off too!).  Which reminds me......it's still in the chest freezer.

OK, thanks for the input so far.
Here is what is going on now with my batch.
One carboy is at 1006 and has been for a week.  Very nice color, taste and smell.  Ready to bottle.  And I will.
The other carboy is stubborn.  It has stuck at 1020 for 2 weeks.  Not moving down at all.
Is it possible that a beer will be finished at that gravity?  I doubt it.
It tastes different.  Not as bitter as the other carboy.  Not different in being bad, just not as good a taste as the first carboy.
Are there any ways to get it started again?  Should I?
Or just let it sit?  And for how long?  Months?
I don't know what to do with it at this point.
Any thoughts?

If the first one is at 1.006 then the second one is not finished. I would go get another vial/packet of the same or substitute a neutral yeast and pitch it in there, along with 1/4 of the recommended amount of yeast nutrient. This should get if to its FG of near 1.006. If you are using packets make sure to hydrate it first and add the yeast nutrient before you add it to they carboy.

Cheers
Preston

Back