• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where to place the Bazooka in a 15.5 Keggle?

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi Guys (and gals if there are any!).
Hope all are doing well.

I have a 15.5gal straight sided Sanke keg that I have converted to a Keggle.
I have searched the forum, but not finding the answer I am looking for.
I have a Weld-Be-Gone spigot and Bazooka T that am going to install.
I have done a few batches to see if I can figure it out, but I am no closer now than before.
My Bazooka T has a 2.5" copper pipe up to the 90* and then straight out to the spigot.
So, where do I put the screen?
I can find pictures and folks saying it is great, but it is hard to see where it is actually installed.
Do I position it to sit right on the bottom of the keggle? or is it supposed to be up a ways?
Do I eliminate the 90* and run it straight out to the spigot?
I use leaf hops most of the time, but the level of trub never seems to be the same, so I haven't been able to measure the depth to determine where to put the Bazooka.  It seems to me to be too high if I position it to be above the trub.
I have seen talk about the Bazooka not working too well with pellets.
What is your experience with pellets or leaves?
So, I hoping that I can glean a little info from your experience with this set up.
Thanks ...

I have mine positioned 1/4-1/2" off the bottom of my keggle. I use A hopbag for both pellet's and loose leaf, so it is only the hotbreak that I leave in the kettle.

If you search other forums, Im sure you can find some good pictures.

Cheers

Preston

Mine sits right on the bottom. I soldiered 3/8" copper tubing to it and ran it into the spigot with a flare fitting. It's tight so it creates a nice siphon and pulls every bit of wort up. I use hops and pellets and never had a problem. At times it gets slow on the drain and I just use my mash paddle to scrape the debris off. Also I do NOT whirlpool. No reason putting more down there then needed. Hmm... maybe 16 oz of hops is too much? That was my last batch. Used pellets and whole hops. Not a single issue.

Ok thanks. I was thinking I would do mine on or near the bottom. I just needed to hear that someone did something like that. Pictures are good, but sometimes aren't clear as to dimensions. Thanks again. I'll do it before the weekend and the next brew.

Just wanted to say that I placed the Bazooka T on the bottom of the keggle.
It worked great.  Wonder why I waited so long?!!!
This last brew was my best yet, as far as temps and volumes go.
Beer seems to be good too!

Thanks for the input on this matter ...

Back