• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Update tool never brings anything down

S

srmatt

Though updated ingredients are available the progrm will not download them using the update tool. Had the program crash repeatedly when opening a recipe and had to start digging for a fix. Why not provide your fixes via the update tool ??? Love the program, it will be intersting to see where you go with it.

Hi,
  Thanks - I do provide basic updates through the update tool.  Some earlier versions did have problems with updating, though.

I did not include all possible ingredient updates (i.e. extra grains) as not everyone wants to sort through every possible manufacturer's grain.  Instead we made these available via a separate site on the website.

Cheers,
Brad

I noticed this same problem yesterday on Windows Vista.  Paying close attention to the error message I realized that the "C:\program files\beersmith\update" folder that the updater tool was looking for was missing.  I created the folder and made sure that the "system" account had full rights to it and the update process worked fine.

Mel Silva
http://www.3dogbrew.com

Personally, I like the grains not getting updated automatically - especially since I modified all of them and have only a set that I regularly use with my cost for each.  Updates should be for the tool only.  Just my opinion.  Anxiously awaiting the new version, and hoping for an android port.

Back