• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with grain extensions

M

Mojoman

I'm a total noob using this program and any brewing software for that matter. I've downloaded the grain extensions from the support page. If I double click one or import it I can see the file at the top left. I can view all files but if I add my amount in the inventory field it doesn't show up there. I tried copying the files into the Beersmith folder un my programs and they still don't show up in the default grains & extracts list. How do I import these files so that they are there when I open the program?

Thanks for the welcome. I do have another question though. I've tried imputing items into my inventory but can't find some in any of the grain extensions. One is DME from Muntons. I looked all over their website but couldn't find the info to make a new extention myself. The label : Muntons; spraymalt extract; Plain Light; color-typically 10 EBC.
The other one is Crosby & Baker; Label: Muntons Hopped Light DME; color 5 EBC/Lovibond 2.3
How do I get the other info needed in Beersmith to enter a new extension?

What I do is copy something that is close to what I'm looking for, and then modify it to fit the new grain/extract. Then I research on the internet to try and find out the specifics of the grain/extract. Sometimes on extracts, you can find the information on the package. I know yeast is that way, and a long time ago I created some extracts from the label on a can.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Preston

Thanks again. I finally was able to find some info on a LME I've been using, but some of the info Beersmith uses is not there. The LME is Alexander's Sun Country Pale Malt Extract. There is no info on the can and here's what I found on the web for specifications:
Extract %: 80.0
pH, 10% sol.: 5.24
Iodine reaction: Neg.
Color, (SMR), 10% sol.: 2.2
Iron, ppm, 10% sol.: 0.10
Nitrogen, %, 10% sol.: 0.065
Acidity, % Lactic acid: 0.94
Reducing Sugar, % Anhydrous Maltose, 10% sol.: 4.60
FAN, ppm, 10% sol.: 128

I assume the extract % goes in where it says Yield. How do you get the potential and why would this pale LME be so different from the generic one in Beersmith for the SRM, 2.2 compared to 8.0?

Back