• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Vista Reinstall - reinstall BS from windows.old directory.

T

tacoguthrie

yesterday I had to reinstall Vista after an update led to damage (nice work msoft!).  All of my old windows files moved to a windows.old directory.  I'd like to reinstall Beersmith which is in the directory windows.old/program files/BeerSmith.

I'm wondering if i can just copy the whole directory over to my new program files folder and go from there.  I tried to run the Beersmith.exe from the old folder and the registration window opened.  this leads to a follow up question... where can i find my registration key?  I search my email but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,
  My best advice would be to do a clean install of the latest version, then simply use BeerSmith to open up any of the files from the old directory you need and copy/paste items as needed into the new install.  The data is contained in Recipes.bsm, Hops.bsm, etc...

If you run the old version you can get your key from the Help menu (the same command used to register).  If you can't locate your key drop me an email with your name, email you registered under and address and I can look it up in my database.

Cheers,
Brad

thanks for the quick response.

I couldn't find the # when i opened the old beersmith.  Check your pms for my info.

I'll reinstall a fresh beersmith right now and put in the # when i get it from you.

Cheers!

Hi Brad,

I can't seem to find my old recipes.  I've tried to import the recipe.bsm file from the windows.old directory and even copy/paste the same file into the new Beersmith directory.  All that comes up are the Sample recipes.

Any thoughts on where my recipes are stored and if they are recoverable? 

Hi,
  A wonderful feature of Vista is that if you are not running as an admin it creates a "compatibility" directory under the existing one which is probably where your data was stored.  Usually this shows up as a "compatability" button in windows file explorer (on the toolbar) when browsing the old BeerSmith directory.  The full path is actually here:

C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista.

Cheers,
Brad

Back