• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

boiled hops to long

G

g3nascar

I'm new to home brewing, just brewed my second batch. It is an Irish Ale, the recipe says to add .75 oz. of cascade pellets for 60 min. and .5 oz. of fuggle pellets for 15 min. I messed up and added all pellets for 60 min. Does anyone know what effects this will have on the taste?

You'll have less hop flavor and more hop bitterness which will allow the malt to shine through.
Some people make your mistake on purpose.

A rough rule of thumb on hopping schedules:

-Bittering hops are added at the start of the boil --- any flavors or aromas are boiled off just leaving the bitterness

-Flavor hops are added around 40 minutes (boil for 20 min) ---- any aroma is boiled away

-Aroma hops are added around 50 minutes (boil for 10min) --- mainly adds the hop aroma

In general brewing is not a process of split second timing .... better to stop relax and re-check the recipe or directions

Enjoy

Back