Author Topic: Bulk grain storage  (Read 3327 times)

Offline econolinevan

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Bulk grain storage
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:36:17 PM »
I am the proud owner of a new barley crusher.  I got the smaller hopper and if needed I believe I could easily make it bigger.  Can't wait to start crushing and brewing.  I am holding off for the time being due to  the weather here in eastern washington being in the mid to upper nineties & the purchasing of a new house and I'd rather get settled in to the new digs and let the brewing season begin with cooler weather in my new garage.
I had a chance to save 40% on some bulk organic malted grains with the sale cut off on 7/15.  I won't  open the bags till I'm ready to mash in like 1.5 to 2 months from now.  The daytime temp in the storage area is in the mid seventies and I really don't have a cooler place here at my current residence to store it.
Is this going to have a negitive effect on my malt?  Is there anything I can do to preserve till I'm ready to brew?

New Home Bruce

Offline drp53188

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith rocks!
Re: Bulk grain storage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
I keep al my grain in large plastic totes that you buy at walmart and store them in 70deg temps and have never had a problem. ( but my grain never lasts that long ) I buy 50 lbs at a time and have had it last as long as 16 weeks in the winter time! Just keep it cool and dry.
homemade 10 gal all grain system.
still growing!!!