• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking for a really good all grain pumpkin beer recipe

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
We are getting close to fall and hunting season and I would like to make a really good all grain pumpkin beer. Last year I tried a "kit beer" and I was disappointed in the results, although I believe it was more of my fault as a new brewer than the kit. I have also had commercial pumpkin beer that lacked any real flavor of pumpkin other than the spices.
Does anyone have a really good pumpkin beer recipe that uses cut up whole pumpkin in the mash, and some really flavorful spices?
And while we are on the subject, how about a good holiday beer with say some raisins, dates, spices, and other adjuncts fitting for the holidays?
Thanks,  Cowboy Up!! :)

Last fall's Zymurgy had a cover article on some PA guys quest for a great pumpkin ale.  It sounded great.  A friend here made it verbatim and it was wonderful.  Liquid pumpkin pie. 

Once I bottle the one I made late last year and see if it's any good, I'll try to find the ProMash recipe and manually convert it to Beer Smith format. I made my own spice pack up, used a mortar and pestle to crush the allspice berries, etc., so everything was fresh.

Basically, it was 10 lbs of 2-row base malt, 1 lb crystal, 10 lbs pumpkin, I think, and various pumpkin spices (but not the generic "pumpkin spice" from the supermarket). I used either Cascade alone or with Centennial. It was an APA with pumpkin tossed in. It made for a slow runoff mash, so be forewarned. Some claim that you only need the spices, not the pumpkin. I made this one to see if it would turn out well with the actual pumpkin in the recipe.

I had a system problem and reinstalled Windows. I do have everything on a backup but need to find it, and it's not easy since I have to use the program that made the backup, which does not have a search function. I only restored what I felt I needed right away and restore other things as I need to, so I don't have the recipe easily accessible.

BTW, is there a converter program available to convert from ProMash to Beer Smith recipe format?

Don

Try this:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=512.0

Make sure your recipies are in txt format not rec and it should work.

Cheers
Preston

Back