Author Topic: Scotch Whiskey in a porter?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Scotch Whiskey in a porter?
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:35 AM »
I have a robust porter that seems smooth and nicely roasty.  Thinking of dosing some bottles at bottling with booze.  I have some Glenlivet scotch whiskey.  Would that work, or would standard bourbon be better? 

Any experience on the amount to dose a 12 oz bottle?  Thanks.

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: Scotch Whiskey in a porter?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
I would not use the Glenlivet! That would be like putting a Porsche engine in a Volkswagen! ;D (See who shakes out of the trees on that one! Volkswagen people are nuts about their Volkswagen's)

Use some standard "Cheep" Bourbon. It should be muted by the beer anyhow. I had some oak chips soaking on some Bourbon and added the Oaked bourbon to an old ale (2C.) to give it an authentic flavor. It took 6 months to mellow. I would be sparing with it and work up from there myself.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
Hey!  I *think* you just called my robust porter a Volkswagen.   :D
But that brainstorms a new motto:  "Are you farvhenbrewin?" 

I actually bought the whiskey in fall of 2007 for a robust porter, but I was just returning to brewing and clueless.  (And the whiskey remains unopened.)  The amount I'm thinking to dose some bottles amounts to spillage, so no sweat. 

1 oz out of 12 oz = 8.3%...too much, I think.  So ~1/2 oz or so, between 1 tsp and 1.5 tsp?  It's for a comp, don't have much time, so it can't be hot or too strong b/c it won't mellow much in the bottle. 

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:50:14 AM »
If it is for a competition, be conservative!
A good test would be to pour a beer that is comperable to what you made and add the amount to it to see what it does.. Just a thought.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!