• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scotch Whiskey in a porter?

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a robust porter that seems smooth and nicely roasty.  Thinking of dosing some bottles at bottling with booze.  I have some Glenlivet scotch whiskey.  Would that work, or would standard bourbon be better? 

Any experience on the amount to dose a 12 oz bottle?  Thanks.

I would not use the Glenlivet! That would be like putting a Porsche engine in a Volkswagen! ;D (See who shakes out of the trees on that one! Volkswagen people are nuts about their Volkswagen's)

Use some standard "Cheep" Bourbon. It should be muted by the beer anyhow. I had some oak chips soaking on some Bourbon and added the Oaked bourbon to an old ale (2C.) to give it an authentic flavor. It took 6 months to mellow. I would be sparing with it and work up from there myself.

Cheers
Preston

Hey!  I *think* you just called my robust porter a Volkswagen.  :D
But that brainstorms a new motto:  "Are you farvhenbrewin?" 

I actually bought the whiskey in fall of 2007 for a robust porter, but I was just returning to brewing and clueless.  (And the whiskey remains unopened.)  The amount I'm thinking to dose some bottles amounts to spillage, so no sweat. 

1 oz out of 12 oz = 8.3%...too much, I think.  So ~1/2 oz or so, between 1 tsp and 1.5 tsp?  It's for a comp, don't have much time, so it can't be hot or too strong b/c it won't mellow much in the bottle. 

If it is for a competition, be conservative!
A good test would be to pour a beer that is comperable to what you made and add the amount to it to see what it does.. Just a thought.

Cheers
Preston

Back