• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

MAC using WINE

C

chemicalsams

I am a new user to Beersmith (I'm actually just using the trial version right now), but I have been able to successfully run it in WINE on my MAC with the Leopard OS.  For those of you who looking for a way to run Beersmith on your MAC with out having to buy an emulator, WINE may be a good option.

Instruction for installing WINE are here: http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

It's a bit involved, but not difficult.

All the functions seem to work, however I have not yet tried to print.

I would be interested to hear of other success/challenges of MAC users.

Thanks!
  I'll have to give this a try on my Mac...

Brad

My super old PC that I kept around exclusively for BeerSmith bit the dust again today, so I have been attempting to run it on my Mac via Wine. I am using Leopard and XCode 3.1.4. I can get the BeerSmith window that asks for my code to open and when I click ok, BS opens and closes very quickly. I get a lot of code in Terminal, which ends with:
Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  66 (X_PolySegment)
  Serial number of failed request:  30776
  Current serial number in output stream:  31045

So, still troubleshooting, but hopefully will get there soon!

I have OSX 10.6.6. and Wine installed.  I just downloaded the free trial version.  It started right up.  I am a devoted BeerTools customer, but am hoping this handles water and inventory a little cleaner.

Any rumors of an iPad or iPhone App after he gets the native Mac version working?

I just posted a pretty detailed HOWTO for using BeerSmith on a Mac including how you can get it to print without the PDF workaround:

http://www.wells-inc.com/howto-beersmith-on-a-mac-with-wine

If you follow these instructions and they don't work for you, or if you know how to improve these instructions for a better experience, please let me know and I'll update them.  I hope at least a few folks find this valuable!

Back