Author Topic: Dry Hopping with Pellets or Fresh - Do they need to be sterilized?  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Peter McQuillen

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Dry Hopping with Pellets or Fresh - Do they need to be sterilized?
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
I haven't tried dry hopping, but I am growing a few hops in my garden.  Once they are dried I plan on adding them in the fermentor.  How do I make sure that I am not adding bacteria, etc. to the fermentor?

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Dry Hopping with Pellets or Fresh - Do they need to be sterilized?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 11:29:15 PM »
I'm no expert but I think your best bet is to add it to the fermenter (primary or secondary) after primary fermentation is complete.  That way you'll get the aroma and some flavor without the primary fermentation getting in the way.  Also, at that point, you have alcohol which is a tough environment for critters to live in.  So, even if your hops are full of the nasties that alcohol rich, carbon dioxide rich, oxygen poor environment should keep them at bay.

Offline Peter McQuillen

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
Thanks for the response.  That makes sense and I will try that.  This is the first season for the hops, so there won't be a lot, but I am looking forward to trying this with a nice pale ale.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »
..... full of the nasties that alcohol rich, carbon dioxide rich, oxygen poor environment.............

God, I want a beer right now.   ;D

modification