• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Hopping with Pellets or Fresh - Do they need to be sterilized?

Peter McQuillen

Apprentice
Reaction score
I haven't tried dry hopping, but I am growing a few hops in my garden.  Once they are dried I plan on adding them in the fermentor.  How do I make sure that I am not adding bacteria, etc. to the fermentor?

I'm no expert but I think your best bet is to add it to the fermenter (primary or secondary) after primary fermentation is complete.  That way you'll get the aroma and some flavor without the primary fermentation getting in the way.  Also, at that point, you have alcohol which is a tough environment for critters to live in.  So, even if your hops are full of the nasties that alcohol rich, carbon dioxide rich, oxygen poor environment should keep them at bay.

Thanks for the response.  That makes sense and I will try that.  This is the first season for the hops, so there won't be a lot, but I am looking forward to trying this with a nice pale ale.

Wildrover said:
..... full of the nasties that alcohol rich, carbon dioxide rich, oxygen poor environment.............

God, I want a beer right now.  ;D

Back