• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Infusion mash-out question

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
In the kitchen, I would usually do a temp-rise mash-out to 168F.  Outside, no can do. 

Tinkering with BSmith, it looks like I could do a 4-quart infusion mash-out of near boiling water that would get the mash up to 165F (mash is 153F).  BSmith appears to just take the one gallon from the sparge water.  I'm thinking that 12F rise would really help the remaining 168F sparge water to rinse grains. 

This strikes me as a mix between batch sparging (one gallon) and then continuous (five gallons).  I'm doing a hefe Sunday, so I think this is the brew on which to try to thin out the runnings. 

Can anyone offer tips on making that easy?  Do you have to slowly add the 210F water, or can you just dump it all in and start stirring?  I want to neutralize the enzymes, but are there any negatives from the sudden splash of really hot water?  Thx.

I usually add 3/4 of the water addition and then sneak up on the temp. I also always add a gallon to the number just in case I miss the number and still need more heat. This then comes off the Sparge water. As soon as I add the water I stir which dissipates the heat and there should be no ill effects from that water addition.

The things I watch for is making sure I have enough water for a good sparge. If not I do a couple things. Increase the boil time, and/or decott the water infusion amount and boil it. Yesterday I did a decott MO and a 3 hour boil on a WeeHeavy Scotch. Because I wanted the extra water for the sparge. 26# of grains did not leave much water for sparging!

Cheers
Preston

Technically you could add the entire amount of sparge water to the mash to go from Sacc' Rest to Mashout with no concerns.  This is called No-batch Sparging.  Since the enzymatic process is over after the Sacc' Rest then the water to grain ratio is of no concern.  I personally do a thin decoction to go from the Sacc' Rest to Mashout temp.  Just pull as much of the liquids from the tun that you can add it to the pot, bring to a boil and then add back 2-3 quarts at a time, stir and measure temp.  Cool any remainder of decoction in the pot down to 170 and then add it in as well.  Vorlauf and sparge as nornal.

switzead said:
I personally do a thin decoction to go from the Sacc' Rest to Mashout temp.  Just pull as much of the liquids from the tun that you can add it to the pot, bring to a boil and then add back 2-3 quarts at a time, stir and measure temp.  Cool any remainder of decoction in the pot down to 170 and then add it in as well.  Vorlauf and sparge as nornal.
So basically you Vorlaugh the amount Beersmith tells you, then you boil that and add it back as MO Water? It benefit you more to Decot the thick (as a normal Decotion) and boil that. You would get more flavors (Complex Malty flavors and some nice Aromas) from the Decoction and your beer would be all the better for it (IMO).

Cheers
Preston

Back