• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IPA feedback?

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Using hops on-hand for an American IPA.  How do these hops look for a 1.071 brew?  Ahtanum is described as like Cascade.

Style: American IPA
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
Est SRM: 6.8 SRM SRM RANGE: 6.0-15.0 SRM
Est IBU: 63.4 IBU IBU RANGE: 40.0-70.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.071 SG OG RANGE: 1.056-1.075 SG
Est FG: 1.017 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.018 SG

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Chalk 1.0; Gyp 1.25; CalChlr 1.50; Epsom 1.50; Soda 0.0; RA=minus 7
C:S = 0.60 bitter.

Add first wort hops during sparge
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
1.00 oz      Chinook [11.00 %]  (90 min) (First Wort HoHops        40.2 IBU     
0.25 oz      Ahtanum [5.70 %]  (90 min) (First Wort HopHops        5.2 IBU     
Sparge with 3.80 gal of 168.0 F water.

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.062 Est OG: 1.071 SG
Boil        Amount      Item                                      Type       
30 min      0.50 oz      Ahtanum [5.70 %]  (30 min)                Hops       
20 min      0.50 oz      Ahtanum [5.70 %]  (20 min)                Hops       
10 min      0.50 oz      Ahtanum [5.70 %]  (10 min)                Hops       
10 min      0.50 oz      Cascade [5.30 %]  (10 min)                Hops       
5 min        0.50 oz      Cascade [5.30 %]  (5 min)                Hops       
1 min        0.50 oz      Ahtanum [5.70 %]  (1 min)                Hops       

I would move the Cascades up to flavoring additions of 20 and 10 which would leave more of the Ahtanum for aroma. It sounds like a solid plan

Couple questions:
What kind of Mash Profile are you going with, what Kind of Yeast, and do you plan on controlling the fermentation temps?

Cheers
Preston

You know Ahtanum and liked it?  I was hedging my bets on Cascade since I know it, but I have six oz Ahtanum and only one Cascade.  How would you compare them?  I've had more success with big late additions versus dry-hopping. 

Mash at 150F for attenuation.  Nottingham at 62-63F to control the esters & stay neutral.  Gradual rise to 66F after it's done.  Probably two weeks/two weeks. 

Mix of 2-row, MO, some munich/vienna TBD. 

You know Ahtanum and liked it?
You make it sound like Ahtanum is bad stuff! Granted it has its own characteristics and flavors. The earthy notes went very well in an Old ale and was very nice addition. Everyone at the Beer Club meeting asked what it was. I played it like I did not remember!  ;D

I was hedging my bets on Cascade since I know it, but I have six oz Ahtanum and only one Cascade.  How would you compare them? 
I would say that they were similar to each other, but the Ahtanum had more grassy/earthy notes (IMO) than Cascades.

I've had more success with big late additions versus dry-hopping.
I have had mixed results, I think it has allot to do with the beer style, gravity, PH, and hops type.

Mash at 150F for attenuation.  Nottingham at 62-63F to control the esters & stay neutral.  Gradual rise to 66F after it's done.  Probably two weeks/two weeks. 
Mix of 2-row, MO, some munich/vienna TBD. 
Sounds like a solid plan!

Cheers
Preston

Back