• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pumpkin Ale or Stout?

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
I have been looking for a pumpkin ale or stout recipe. I am a beginner only three batches under my belt so I was looking for an extract recipe. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Mterm

If you can find "neck pumpkin" like this, it is great for the pumpkin flavor.  Picked all eight of these beasts yesterday.  Range from 17# to 40#.  Beer, pie, cheesecake, bread, ..............

Attachments

• pumpkinsjpg2.jpg
    pumpkinsjpg2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 644
That's Pumpkin? Wow that's actually kind of cool!

Cheers
Preston

Yea, a friend uses it for beer, and then I saw seeds for it from my fave garden site (www.superseeds.com).

They even described it as THE pumpkin for eating and baking, etc.

So i guess no one has a pumpkin beer recipe just pictures of the weirdest looking pumpkin I've ever seen...... :eek: ???

As a beginner, I would recommend you buy an extract kit such as an amber ale of moderate bitterness, perhaps low 30s IBU. 

Buy fresh pumpkin, made for eating/baking, and not jack o'lanterns.  Carve it up in hand-sized pieces with rind still on.  Put on cookie sheet, sprinkle brown sugar over and bake 325F for >30 mins until it looks done. 
Cool, cut meat off rind.  You can do all that in advance, of course.  Or buy Libby canned pumpkin.

Put meat into boil: I've seen everything from 60 mins to 30 mins. 

Pumpkin pie spice is available from stores.  1-3 tbs near end of boil should do.  I would not add any hops after 30 mins or it will compete with the spices. 

Everything, esp. spicing, is variable depending on the beer kit and batch size; you want a nice balance between beer and pumpkin.  Good luck.

I just made midwest pumpkin ale kit today , first try at pumpkin ale. the kit said use 30 oz can pumpkin I used 45oz of caned pumpkin last 5 min, It came with1 cup brown sugar1/2 tea cinamin,1/2 tea nutmeg and I went with 3/4 oz of mt hood for 60 min & 1 oz cascade for 2 min .I hope it turns out ok

Thanks fo all the great information I will give it a try....

Don't bother with using ANY pumpkin.  It's more work than it's worth.  What gives the flavor to a pumpkin ale is the spices you use.  Add some pumpkin pie spice to the recipe instead.  You'll end up with less sludge in your fermentor too. 

If you just want a spice beer, perhaps, but then make a Christmas ale instead.  Like in a pie, those spices add to and bring out the pumpkin flavors. 
If you use a lot of pumpkin, though it will generate some sludge in primary, so account for the volume loss and scale up 0.5 to 1.0 gallons if you want to end up with >5 gallons.

Back