• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IC wort chilling

Pirate Point Brewer said:
CR,

Nothing that Clean & Shiney could possible make good beer   :D

I know it's going to stink, but I will manage to suffer through.

Ziggybrew said:
Is that a zip-tie on the brace? Do you just water blast the hops/trub off of the inside?

Yah it's an all nylon zip tie  - no metal parts. 
I had about 10  of them installed during assembly .  This one I added after assembly as an homage to my boundless insecurity that anything I do will ever turn out right. ...... 

I haven't made up my mind whether to leave it in place or not. That piece of furniture is a SST ladder with one side open. The little Rungs (which you can't see in the pix) are silver brazed in place to support the coils taking the load off the Swagelock connectors.
I have the zip tie on to keep them fro slipping off. 

In truth once installed onto the ladder none of the coils  have sought to slip off  but I was behaving like a worry wort and just had to put it  on.  Maybe (most probably)  the heat of  the first  boil will cause the little plastic zip lock mechanism to release and it'll be found deader than the dodo at the bottom of the tank.

I only have a 50 foot SS tube, but it works great for 5 gallon batches. When I switch to ten gallons batches, will coiling the hose in a bucket of ice water help chill 10 gallons with a 50 foot coil of 1/2 inch stainless tube?

Well there's a couple of things going on here. As stated inm y former post the  pot is ( considered by some) to be not the  best geometry for brewing beer being as big a diameter as it is tall.  I believe true purists prefer a pot that is taller than it is around.
Honest to god I don't know if that makes any difference at all (I never read any authoritative material on the topic), but I considered  it anyway. 
And I still needed to chill my hot wort. So I Figured I could kill two birds with the same stone and make the coil so large that (a) it'd work lightning fast and  (b) the coil could be used to take up more space in the kettle thus resulting in a higher fluid column.

So that's Two independently fed coils each running it's own cold fluid. 

or are counter-flows a MUST with tens?

These pots are 20 gallons for 12 gallon batches.  Is a CF a Mandatory thing?
I don't know for sure, but there's a fair argument that it may be the wiser course.
Unless one's static chiller set up is going  have the same Sq Inch surface contact coverage ratio in the larger batch as it does in the smaller, you may need to do something to push the process along.

Back