• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

wyeast or white labs?

keithshead

Brewer
Reaction score
Is there any noticable difference between the performance of wyeasts and white lab yeasts?

I've used both with excellent results.  Any differences would most likely be attributed to your handling and preparation of the yeast as well as the condition of the wort.  Good luck dissecting out differences.

For more info on available strains, check out: http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm#WLP_vs_Wyeast

cheers

Yeast strains are consistent tho not all are available between both. Both manufacturers have yeast strains that cross. However I prefer the WYeast Smack packs, primarily because you know you have good yeast, and I tend to get a better start with because the yeast are active before you pitch them.

Cheers
Preston

I actually prefer white labs for the same reasons others prefer wyeast.  I've tried both and just feel I get a better start and more consistent results with white labs as opposed to wyeast but I don't think you can really go wrong with either

I also prefer Wyeast for the included nutrient pack that you bust inside to prep the yeast.  Also at MrMalty.com is a yeast-starter calculator, and in it you can see how much viability the yeast loses in just a couple months.  Seeing it bloat and knowing how quickly it did helps estimate the yeast's vigor. 

Back