• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lactose substitute

H

hurricane harry

I was looking to brew a stout but I have to work around a dairy allergy.  Anyone know if there is a substitute for lactose that can be used?

hh

A purpose of adding lactose is to add some sweetness and to increase the body of the stout.  Increase the mash temp instead.  If you are using extract, use some less fermentable extract.

Fred

I've just started using BeerSmith software and have only made 2 all grain brews so far.  Both batches were a single infusion mashing in at 154 degrees.  How much higher would you recommend I go?

hh

I can't say because I don't know where you stout you are planning to brew has worked in the past.  The change is a relative one based on how your previous beers turned out.  Off-hand I'd say that 154 is enough, but I've never tasted your example of this stout so I really can't say.

I would first brew it at 154 and then modify to taste.  Make no more than a 1F change at a time.

Fred

Back