• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bananas as fermentables, anyone?

Triples

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with bananas in the boil?  I was thinking of adding maybe a pound of mashed ripe bananas to something like a stout. I haven't found any info on doing this or how the bananas and the brew might react.  Should they be in for the whole boil or maybe the last 15 minutes?  I was thinking about a cooked banana experiment on the stove top to see what happens to banana flavors as you boil them for an hour.  I know they make banana beer in Africa mostly from bananas, but I don't believe they cook them.  Do bananas have yeast nutrients?  Any ideas or experience would be cool.

P.S. I also want to figure out how to add bananas to Beersmith as fermentables so that they will affect the estimated OG and FG.

Add the "fruits" extension to the grains database.  I have nothing to indicate the color so I left the SRM at "0" (zero)
Bananas yield a potential of 1.005 (5 pppg or points per pound per gallon) based on the published average brix of a banana. 

http://beersmith.com/support.htm bottom right on the support page

Fred

Bananas in wine are very weak in fermentables and in flavor but add a lot of mouthfeel.  You have to add another fruit to get flavor.  I would say 5 points per pound per gallon is close if not too much.  I would boil very little, maybe the last 2-5 minutes.

I'm interested in using bananas too, and have been wondering about something: If you buy green bananas, they tend to be filled with starch and don't taste sweet at all. But if you store then at room temperature, they turn yellow or even brownish and the starch sort of disappears and the bananas become sweet. I suppose there is some kind of natural mashing process going on. If so, is there a storing temperature which will give more fermentable sugars or maybe more banana taste in the finished beer?

I am curious too about a banana beer.....I have done heaps of research and found not much info so i decided to make one...
I have made a banana and honey wheat beer...for the banana i used banana nesquik.!!!! if you have not heard of it its a milkshake mixer...the ingredients are cane sugar and flavours and colour. nothing else. I inputted this into beersmith as 250gm of cane sugar.its been fermenting now for 5 days. took a sample today to check the SG. found the colour bright yellow and tasted of banana with a hint of honey. bit sweet still as the SG a little high and still some sugars in there....
i am now happy about it... i will let you know in 4-5 weeks when its ready...

Adamsale said:
I am curious too about a banana beer.....I have done heaps of research and found not much info so i decided to make one...
I have made a banana and honey wheat beer...for the banana i used banana nesquik.!!!! if you have not heard of it its a milkshake mixer...the ingredients are cane sugar and flavours and colour. nothing else. I inputted this into beersmith as 250gm of cane sugar.its been fermenting now for 5 days. took a sample today to check the SG. found the colour bright yellow and tasted of banana with a hint of honey. bit sweet still as the SG a little high and still some sugars in there....
i am now happy about it... i will let you know in 4-5 weeks when its ready...

Cant wait to hear how it turns out......sounds great.....never thought to use quick.....wonder if the chocolate quick would work in my Nut Brown ?

Back