Author Topic: Flat Beer ?  (Read 3914 times)

Offline mterm

• BeerSmith Brewer
Flat Beer ?
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »
Was reading through some old posts and had a thought. If you were to find that after bottling your beer and conditioning for 2 to 3 weeks  and prior to refrigerating you found little or no caronation could you open the bottles put in carbination tabs or priming sugar and let the beer condition for a few more weeks or just pour it down the sink.

Offline sickbrew

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Flat Beer ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
The first thing I would do is give it more time.  For a variety of reasons the yeast count could be low and they simply require more time to build up there numbers.  Other factors could also be at play but I would wait at least couple more weeks and then, yes add your carbonation tabs and possibly a fresh shot of yeast.  You could also keg it and force carbonate it.  No guessing involved for the results of that method and what an excuse (for wifey) to purchase a new keg setup.

cheers, joe

Offline bonjour

• Global Moderator
    • Beer du Jour
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »
I had one beer, granted a real big one, that took about 5-6 months to become properly carbonated.

Wait before any action.

Fred

Offline stevemwazup

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »
    I agree with the keg setup, force carbonating takes a lot of the guess work out and you get to enjoy your brew in a few days.
 ;D

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 06:28:32 AM »
I had one beer, granted a real big one, that took about 5-6 months to become properly carbonated.

Wait before any action.

Fred

I agree you should wait. I have seen improvements in carbonation through 6 weeks. I know its hard to do, but just wait.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!