• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Additional Mash Temperature modification

K

kpowers11

With my current setup, I pump my mash water to my mash tun from my boil kettle.  I experience roughly a 5 degree temperature loss during this operation.    A similar, although less drastic, temperature drop occurs when I gravity feed from my boil kettle to my sparge water tank and from my sparge tank to the top of my mash tun for my sparging operation.  I was wondering if there is any way to include a compensation factor in one's equipment setup to offset this temperature drop?  This seems like it would be a pretty easy feature to add and would make all of the temperatures on the brewing sheet more accurate for my type of mashing setup (2-tier incorporating a pump and braided hoses).

Ken,
 It may be possible - but can you be a bit more specific on the temperature drop?

For example is it always a 5 degree drop (i.e. would I always just add 5 degrees to the mash water temp to get the correct temp?).

Second - is it the same for the sparge water - i.e. is it a constant temperature drop (say 5 degrees).

If so, I guess this would involve simply adding some fields to the temperature database.  I'm not sure I can put it in the current version, but it might be a possibility for the next version.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

The temperature drop seems to be consistant but it is a different amount during the mash operation and the sparge operation.  I have seen some other brewing setups where the creator has stated a temperature drop during the same operations so I don't think I am the only one.  I just thought it might be nice to include a couple of constants in the equipment profile that were added to the mash water and sparge water temperatures.  Although this is not difficult to do manually, it would take a small amount of effort out of the brew day and would have a more accurate brewing sheet that added an extra bit of a personal touch to my equipment setup.  Let me know what you think.

Ken

Ken,
 It sounds very reasonable to me -

Final question: Do I only need two variables (one for Mash, one for sparge) or do you see the need for additional ones?

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

My system would only require the two variables.  The other transfer and temperature control operations are digitally controlled.  Whether this addition would be useful to other users of your software, I don't know.  I would love to see it in a future version, however.

Ken

Ken,
 I just added to the list.  I'm not sure if it will make it into the version I'm working on now or not - I still have a lot of work to do on it!

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for adding that to the list.  I believe your already exceptional program is only going to get better and better.  Keep up the great work.

Ken

Back