• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profiles - adding to recipe

C

conpewter

I currently make up my water profile and then add it twice to the recipe because I want two different salt additions, you need to have an addition for the mash and one for the boil since the salts do not dissolve as well in plain water (per Palmer).  It would be nice if when I added water to my recipe based on a certain profile that it would add it once for mash water and once for the total sparge volume.

The other issue that I have is that when I add distilled water to a water profile then add that water to the recipe it will automatically put in the salts but will not add the distilled water, so I have to go back and look at the profile and add distilled to my recipe to match.  Is there any option to have it add the distilled to the recipe as well?

conpewter said:
.........you need to have an addition for the mash and one for the boil since the salts do not dissolve as well in plain water (per Palmer). 

Why do you need to add minerals to the boil?  Can you give the page of that topic in Palmer?  Thx.

My understanding from his spreadsheet is that he focuses on having the correct minerals present in sufficient quantities in the mash for the sake of starch conversion.  He also talks about acidifying the sparge water IF your pH is fairly high (alkaline). 

Back