• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fast Brew

F

funkybrewster

A friend has asked me to whip up something for a Halloween party, obviously not much time. Is there a simple, malt-extract recipe or style even that I could possibly get 'done' in that short of time that would be alright?

A wheat beer, a session beer (low gravity), a stout, even an APA are very makeable.

Fred

funkybrewster said:
A friend has asked me to whip up something for a Halloween party, obviously not much time. Is there a simple, malt-extract recipe or style even that I could possibly get 'done' in that short of time that would be alright?

Brew NOW!!

A nice Dunkel, would be great for the Fall/Haloween season :)

A Dunkel is a lager,  How do you brew that in the time allowed?

Fred

Allowing four days to crash carbonate, 17-18 days is plenty to brew wheats, wits or even more ales where clarity is not critical.  If non-wheat/wit, I'd choose a highly flocculating yeast to speed clarification.  Do a starter or proof the dry yeast so you're not waiting for the ferm to kick off. 

Perhaps a low gravity bitter, pale ale or a mild.

Here's my strategy for hurrying up a brew;
Use Ringwood yeast ‘cause it's suited to speed up.
(Some brewpubs use it because of the short boil to glass time.)
Ferment in a carboy or better bottle.
Don’t use a cap/air lock… just spray aluminum foil with starsan and mold it around the top.
Ferment @ 67 degrees.
You’ll get nice fruity esters and Ringwood will tear through the beer like crap goes through a goose.

Thx for all the advice, even the tips I am not using will be stored in the ol' noggin. I went ahead and did a bastardized German (ish) wheat thing (yes, that's the official name). Everything seems good so far and it's almost done w/ initial ferm. Good idea, as I don't need clarity w/ this, plus wheat is always nice for change of the season!

Back