• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Create a mashout step with boiling water automatiically

switzead

Brewer
Reaction score
I use an infusion step to dough-in, usually 1qt/lb.  Then I usually do an infusion step acid rest, anywhere from an additional .25 to .75 qt/lb addition.  Then I do a decoction step to my mash temp.  From there I want to go to mash out temp with boiling water, no matter what the weight to water ratio may be.  Is there a way to do this automatically.  Depending on my grain bill and mash thickness I have to adjust the ratio on the last step until I get a volume and temp close to 212 degF.  Hope this makes sense.

You can get close, but will most likely need to adjust per each recipe. If all the variables stayed consistent it would be easy. But as you know, everything changes. Your MT temp could change from one day to the next. Your strike water could be off in temp or volume. Your grain temps may be off. May have incorrect equipment settings.

I adjust things on the fly as the brew day progresses. It's just one of those things! If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Cheers
Preston

Back