Author Topic: Scale Recommendations?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Scale Recommendations?
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:04:54 PM »
Anybody have any idea on where I can get a good, yet low rent scale that is good for measuring grain in lbs.  I have the smaller one lb scale that is essentially an ounce/gram scale but I need something bigger since I'm buying grain in bulk now?

thanks

WR

howlingdog

Re: Scale Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
I use a dairy scale, spring loaded that I picked from a local feed store. hang a 5 gal bucket from it set to zero and you're set

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »
I never thought about a hanging scale.......how about fishing supplies?  Those guys weigh fish to the ounce for competitions.  A hanging scale sounds great for the bulky base grains.  You'd want a tare button to zero out the bucket's weight. 

I had to look............wow, with the tare button you can weigh multiple fish grains, and not have to measure, empty, reset, clean three bowls, etc.  I'm getting one. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7UJTG

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4328456&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4328456#ProductDetail

Offline Wildrover

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:40:09 AM »
Fish scale?  I hadn't thought of that, sure is a lot cheaper than some of the other scales I've been looking at from homebrew stores

Offline SleepySamSlim

• Barley Engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »
Words that do not go together

fishing competition

digital fish scale

To each his own I guess ... I mainly trout fish using barb-less hooks and flies mostly. Land the fish - remove the hook - let them rest a minute and back they go. Of course some folks think this is crazy too. I can recall landing a 22 inch Deschutes River Red-Side trout after a 15 minute fight. I rested the fish for a few minutes into the cool current. When I set it loose several folks were upset.

A digital fish scale     ???  Great for brewing though !
Some people tell you the old walkin' blues ain't bad
Worst old feelin' that I've ever had ...
-Robert Johnson

Offline stadelman

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
    • Homebrew Finds Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:33 AM »
This one works great for me-

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraship-Electronic-Digital-Shipping-Kitchen/dp/B000JQTVLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255356279&sr=1-1

The front face is removable, so you can read the display when you're weighing bulky items.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I just bought a 35 lb version on ebay. 

........ebay search term, if interested"

ULTRASHIP 35 DIGITAL SHIPPING SCALE POSTAL POSTAGE d+AC

Offline Rep

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »
Words that do not go together

fishing competition

digital fish scale

To each his own I guess ... I mainly trout fish using barb-less hooks and flies mostly. Land the fish - remove the hook - let them rest a minute and back they go. Of course some folks think this is crazy too. I can recall landing a 22 inch Deschutes River Red-Side trout after a 15 minute fight. I rested the fish for a few minutes into the cool current. When I set it loose several folks were upset.

A digital fish scale     ???  Great for brewing though !

Good for you.  I just bought a place that has a trout stream running through it.  I will spend some time this winter taking some of the overhang branches out so people can move along the banks and cast a bit.  Might even take it up myself.