• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scale Recommendations?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anybody have any idea on where I can get a good, yet low rent scale that is good for measuring grain in lbs.  I have the smaller one lb scale that is essentially an ounce/gram scale but I need something bigger since I'm buying grain in bulk now?

thanks

WR

I use a dairy scale, spring loaded that I picked from a local feed store. hang a 5 gal bucket from it set to zero and you're set

I never thought about a hanging scale.......how about fishing supplies?  Those guys weigh fish to the ounce for competitions.  A hanging scale sounds great for the bulky base grains.  You'd want a tare button to zero out the bucket's weight. 

I had to look............wow, with the tare button you can weigh multiple fish grains, and not have to measure, empty, reset, clean three bowls, etc.  I'm getting one. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7UJTG

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4328456&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4328456#ProductDetail

Fish scale?  I hadn't thought of that, sure is a lot cheaper than some of the other scales I've been looking at from homebrew stores

Words that do not go together

fishing competition

digital fish scale

To each his own I guess ... I mainly trout fish using barb-less hooks and flies mostly. Land the fish - remove the hook - let them rest a minute and back they go. Of course some folks think this is crazy too. I can recall landing a 22 inch Deschutes River Red-Side trout after a 15 minute fight. I rested the fish for a few minutes into the cool current. When I set it loose several folks were upset.

A digital fish scale    ???  Great for brewing though !

This one works great for me-

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraship-Electronic-Digital-Shipping-Kitchen/dp/B000JQTVLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255356279&sr=1-1

The front face is removable, so you can read the display when you're weighing bulky items.

Thanks for the tip.  I just bought a 35 lb version on ebay. 

........ebay search term, if interested"

ULTRASHIP 35 DIGITAL SHIPPING SCALE POSTAL POSTAGE d+AC

SleepySamSlim said:
Words that do not go together

fishing competition

digital fish scale

To each his own I guess ... I mainly trout fish using barb-less hooks and flies mostly. Land the fish - remove the hook - let them rest a minute and back they go. Of course some folks think this is crazy too. I can recall landing a 22 inch Deschutes River Red-Side trout after a 15 minute fight. I rested the fish for a few minutes into the cool current. When I set it loose several folks were upset.

A digital fish scale     ???  Great for brewing though !

Good for you.  I just bought a place that has a trout stream running through it.  I will spend some time this winter taking some of the overhang branches out so people can move along the banks and cast a bit.  Might even take it up myself.

Back