• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No Bitterness

McD

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings,
I just purchased Beer Smith after using up my free time. Obviously I liked it or I would have saved my money. It worked great before I made the purchase but now I am having an issue.

I am working on creating a recipe(Dry Stout) and when I add my hops (1oz Magnum) the bitterness value in the profile section does not change... it stays at 0.0. In the ingredients section in the column %/IBU it reads 0.0 IBU but everything else looks right: 1.0 Oz  Magnum [14.00%] [60min] Hops 0.0IBU. It is driving me cracy because it worked great for the couple recipes I did before I purchased it. I double clicked on the Magnum hop and everything looked correct in that window. I have also tried other hops and the don't work either and changing the time doesn't help either.

Interesting thing is that if I click on the adjust bitterness button at the top and type in 30IBU the recipe adjusts the amount of Magnum hop weight up to 1428.8 ounces of hops to get 30IBU.

Any ideas?

I was able to get a "dash" by selecting aroma or dry hop, but never a 0.0

If it affects all hops, I'd guess something got corrupted when you activated the license or got updates?  Can you save your personal data and download a fresh install? 

Could you post a copy of your recipe so we can see what is happening?  The .bsm file  with the recipe highlighted click File then Export as

Fred

Hi,
  Do you have the Magnum hops set as "boil" hops - this could likely be the problem.

Brad

I saved the file as a .bsm file... How do I post it?

The Magnum hops are set to boil.

The program worked fine prior to purchasing the software. I got the activation number typed it in... I didn't install anything else but I am willing to try anything. If I reinstall will that use up my other license?

When you reply, click on the + Additional Options... on the left below the input window.  Attach your file there.

Fred

Thanks for your help. I don't know what was wrong but..... I deleted that recipe just because, restarted the software then started a new recipe.... and you guessed it everything is working. Not sure why or what I might have done but it is working and I'm a happy man!! ;D

I want to thank you guys for your quick response to my post.... it says alot about the support team here!

Back