• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract Question

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
I have only been brewing for a few months and have yet to make the step to all grain brewing figure it is best to get some extract brewing under my belt. I came across a recipe that was an all grain and it called for 8# of American 2 row so i converted it to liquid extract by multiplying it by .75 and came up with 6# of liquid extract. I also read that when using malt extract you do not get a beer that has the malty flavor you get from all grain brewing. If i was to replace some of the liquid extract with American 2 row and steep it with the other specialty grain before the boil would I be able to get some of the malt flavor or would I be wasting my time. I was thinking of maybe using 1# of American 2 row.

Absolutely, assuming you steeped that base grain between 148F and 158F (roughly) that would be considered a partial mash, and a great way to add fresh malty flavor and aroma.  If you can use only 1#, I'd recommend not reducing the LME this first time, since you have no idea how effective you'll be at rinsing any sugars from the partial-mash grains.  You won't raise your OG out of whack.  BSmith will calculate the strike water temps for you.  I used to heat the water in the 5-gallon pot on the stove to that strike temp, add grains, and then put into a preheated oven at about 170F.  That kept it around 153F fairly well. 

Maltlicker,
Thanks for the tip I never thought of putting the pot in the oven.... I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks Again
Mark

Back