• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CPVC or SS Braid?

switzead

Brewer
Reaction score
I currently have a 5 tube CPVC manifold with slits cut every half inch in the bottom of my rectangular manifold very similar to the one on this site - http://brewing.foustwebdesign.com/mashtun.htm.  My problem is that when I stir the tun many times the tubes will come apart and allow grains into the tubes.  I dont want to glue them for cleaning purposes.  So that being said as far as efficiency, which is better, what I have or a SS braid type manifold.  If I switch to SS braid manifold should it be just one length of hose laid down in the middle of the tun or should try to make a manifold type system with the braid?  My thoughts are in the attached pics.  Any thoughts?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 496
You can glue just the side that is most apt to come apart at the wrong time and leave the other side as is for disassembly.

I used SS braids before switching to manifolds. IMO, manifolds are superior to braids. YMMV

Think about adding some black electrical tape to tighten the friction fit.

Fred

I've never used a manifold so I really can't be scientific about it.  As I understand it both the manifold and the braid will work.  Having said that, as a batch sparger I use the braid and have great numbers.  I don't know about fly sparging but I would think the manifold might be better for that.  Having said that, the braid works very well for me, as a batch sparger, I've never had a stuck sparge and my beer is very clear.  I'm a fan and would obviously recommend this method. 

I use copper because you can crush one end to tighten the fit so they don't come apart. I would also make the suggestion that you should turn the slots down for less loss at the end of the Scarification rest.

Cheers
Preston

Braid and batch sparging here.

There are 60" SST braided Dishwasher supply hoses  for cheap at the Borg ( Home Repo) that were made for a hosebib.  They don't sell many for all the obvious reasons and they are about $10.00

The only down side to the braid is it flops around when you are cleaning.

I  considered making a  half inch deep box from  SS flat stock and  braizing  some SST screen mesh  to it top and bottom but the ease of the braid has dissuaded me from all that exercise.

Plus there's damn little reason to lauter. 

Having learned mashing from blogging with Denny Conn and analyzing his set up, I went with the braid.  I have knocked it off the tubing once or twice and will upgrade that union to copper, but otherwise, too damn easy!

One redundant word of caution-most of the smaller braided lines Home Depot sells are "engineered plastic polymer" that looks almost like ss.  Read the label! Then rdwhahb

SOGOAK said:
Home Depot sells are "engineered plastic polymer" that looks almost like ss.  Read the label!

I was in a hurry one day and bought one.
Lesson learned the Borg is not to be trusted.
If I knew what the polymer was and if I knew what the colorant in the polymer was I'd know whether to  trust the poly braid.
Problem is I don't know either of those two things .  For all I know the lovely metal coloring that fooled me, could be lead.

Back