• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

setting up steeping recipes

ee1958

Apprentice
Reaction score
How are the very popular "steeping" recipies such as those published by Palmer, Russel and Szamatulski handled with Beer Smith?

These involve steeping "specialty grains", with and without sparging,adding about half of the "base malt" and about half the final volume for a boil. Close to the end of the boil the wort is trimmed with water and enough base malt to hit the final fermentable wort specs. I think refratometer usage as the process progresses allows "tweaks" to keep it on schedule. 

Setup a partial mash recipe with the extract and specailty grains.  Then in the Mash Profile section add the steps (water/grain ratio and temperature/time rests) for the steep and rinse.  Pretty simple actually.

Your best bet is to look at many of the recipes posted on the BSmith site. Thats how I got started in figuring out both how to enter recipes and how to do equipment setup. Both are critical to be successful. Look at the settings and choices the recipe brewers used.

One of your success markers is measuring your OG on brew day and seeing how close you get to the predicted OG in BSmith. Of course the best test is that the final result tastes good.

Brew On!

Thanks for replies. Like the butcher who backd into the meat slicer, I got a little behind in my work, but onward and upword.
I would like to use the predictor/corrector approach. The instrument would be a refractometer. BTW, an electronic one has a lot of advantages. The light beam is provided by a yellow led, thus the spectrum is consistent rather than whatever the ambient is and it doesn't pass through the sample which is only 2 drops. Shopping at AMAZON I found HANNA Insts HI96811, portable, battery operated, with a LCD 0/50.0Brx, for about $150 about twice a handheld. The steeping and "rinsing" process is slightly different amoung Palmer, Szamatulski(2 books @ MALTOSE EXPRESS) and Russell (Clone Brews). The Idea is check the wort after each step and decide if a calculated corrective addition of ingrediants or water is called for.

For those highly anal retntives, Wikipedia , Brix : Thr Full Wiki , Plato : NBS Circular 440, Table 114 are all Googleable.
A Handbook of Brewing Calculations, Master Brewers Assoc. of the Americas.  The center of fermenting being UC, Davis any book by Amerine, Lewis or Bamforth is at a professional textbook level.

Although I hven't checked them out primetab.com/formulas is interesting.

Back