• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Other actions needed?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So I have an indoor outdoor thermometer in my downstairs homebrewery.  It's been saying that right now the temp in there is around 61-62 degrees.  Yesterday I brewed a bitter which should be fermenting around 67-68 as I understand it. 

Right now I have the fermenter in a tub but instead of putting water in it to keep it cool like I did in Florida now I have it surrounded with old blankets towels and a sleeping bag.  I pitched when my starter was at high krausean and I now have active fermentation in the airlock.  Does anybody think I need to do anything else?  I was thinking about getting a cheap aquarium thermometer and maybe a cheap pump and putting the fermenter in some water and have the thermometer warm the water a bit to keep it where it needs to be? 

Thoughts? 

Wildrover

Oh yeah - I've had all kinds of jerry-rigged / Rube Goldberg ideas and plans to try to control primary fermentation temps during the Fall/Winter. We're in Oregon which is more moderate than where you are at - but it does get cold here and we prefer a cooler indoor temp in general. So my brews were consistently diving to the low 60s very quickly - I like to ferment between 68-70deg.

And I did consider an aquarium heater + pump -- get a new plastic trash can -- put in a few gallons of water - put the fermenter in the trash can - then use the aquarium heater and pump. But when you start adding costs you're well over $50 - but it could work.

What I did do was buy a brew belt for $25 and use one of those timers for turning things off and on. I would have to experiment with 1 hour on 2 off - or 2hr on 2hr off etc. It worked but you have to watch it closely or you will over or under shoot on the temps.

Ultimately I coupled the brew belt with Northern brewers Johnson digital temp controller ---

Back