Author Topic: Aleing a Lager  (Read 3433 times)

funkybrewster

Aleing a Lager
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:31:05 PM »
I have all the ingreents for a Bock, but can't find my lager yeast I bought to go with it. I am totally, completely broke and am contemplating using either my Nottingham or my Munich yeast on it. I know Munich is traditionally for wheat and that, either way, it won't be nearly as smooth but whaddaya think?

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Aleing a Lager
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:45 PM »
there is only one way to find out!

let us know how it goes

having said that, without knowing all that much about these yeast I think I might lean toward using the Munich as opposed to Nottingham given the origin of the beer and yeast are similar.

good luck

WR

funkybrewster

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »
You know my gut said 'USE THE MUNICH!' but everyone tells me that Nottingham is one of the all-time great all-purpose yeasts to fall back on and that it can support a higher alcohol content (which a 5 Gallon Bock made with almost 9 pounds of malt should have). The Munich is traditionally a wheat yeast, but I was wondering if I subbed that for the lager yeast and used wheat s-malt instead of barley, would I make something more akin to a Weizenbock? I am so divided. Sensible me says Nottingham, adventurous me says Munich. Who will win? I'll let you know.

Offline SOGOAK

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
I'd think nottingham and ale fermentation temps would yield a brown ale. 

+1 on  experimentation! 
Good Recipe, Good Ingredients, Good Procedure, Good Sanitation = Good Brew.

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »
2308 is a lager.
Best For: Pilsners, Light Lagers, Dortmond/Export, Marzen/Oktoberfest, Dunkel
Notes: Unique Pilsner strain. Very smooth, well-rounded and full bodied. Benefits from a diacetyl rest.

Use the Nottingham if you can't do Lager temps (48F-56F). If you can lager, don't forget the Diacetyl rest!

Cheers
Preston
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:16:07 AM by UselessBrewing »
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!