• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aleing a Lager

F

funkybrewster

I have all the ingreents for a Bock, but can't find my lager yeast I bought to go with it. I am totally, completely broke and am contemplating using either my Nottingham or my Munich yeast on it. I know Munich is traditionally for wheat and that, either way, it won't be nearly as smooth but whaddaya think?

there is only one way to find out!

let us know how it goes

having said that, without knowing all that much about these yeast I think I might lean toward using the Munich as opposed to Nottingham given the origin of the beer and yeast are similar.

good luck

WR

You know my gut said 'USE THE MUNICH!' but everyone tells me that Nottingham is one of the all-time great all-purpose yeasts to fall back on and that it can support a higher alcohol content (which a 5 Gallon Bock made with almost 9 pounds of malt should have). The Munich is traditionally a wheat yeast, but I was wondering if I subbed that for the lager yeast and used wheat s-malt instead of barley, would I make something more akin to a Weizenbock? I am so divided. Sensible me says Nottingham, adventurous me says Munich. Who will win? I'll let you know.

I'd think nottingham and ale fermentation temps would yield a brown ale. 

+1 on  experimentation! 

2308 is a lager.
Best For: Pilsners, Light Lagers, Dortmond/Export, Marzen/Oktoberfest, Dunkel
Notes: Unique Pilsner strain. Very smooth, well-rounded and full bodied. Benefits from a diacetyl rest.

Use the Nottingham if you can't do Lager temps (48F-56F). If you can lager, don't forget the Diacetyl rest!

Cheers
Preston

Back