• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting hop amounts in recipe

A

Adamsale

I have made a lager that won the West Australian State Amateur Pale Lager section and was wanting to remake it.
I have bought the same hops, but they have a different AA% content.(old ones 4%, new ones 3.2%)
I know i need to adjust the amount in beersmith to get the correct IBU but what about the flavour and aroma amount. Do i adjust to compensate or will the same amount taste the same.??
Does the hops AA strength only matter for bittering and not for flavour/aroma.??

Any help appreciated..

My hunch would be that AA% and boil time drive the IBUs, while age of hops affects the AA%, flavor and aroma.  The hop age tool would help with downgrading the AA% so your IBU are closer.  Any flavor, aroma impacts would be tougher to estimate.  Like same grapes of the same sugar content could yield very different flavors year to year.

I would suggest adjusting all additions at the same proportions as the bittering hops. Even for aroma hops there are IBU's; albeit very little. Alpha Acids are only a small portion of the flavoring components in the lupulin. One would have to assume that all the other components ( beta acids, co-humulone, etc. ) would decrease on a linear scale along with the alpha acids ( it's not exactly proportionate but it is close ). For dry hopping just figure out the % extra hops you are using for bittering and increase accordingly. Your beer should be similar. If you want to get down to the exact science of it, that can be done, but you would need a very detailed analysis of the hops you are using, along with the same analysis for the hops you used for the original batch.

Darin

Thanks....

Original were 15gm for 60 mins, 10 for 15 and 10 at the end...4%

New  i have used 20, 14, 14.....3.2%......should be the same.???

Heres hoping

Back