Author Topic: Mini-Mash efficiency  (Read 2825 times)

Offline SleepySamSlim

  • Barley Engineer
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 277
Mini-Mash efficiency
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
I did my second mini-mash today and this time even added a pound of 2row pale malt to the grain bill. And again the measured OG came 1 point under the predicted OG. Now on the first batch I knew my brewhouse eff would not be 75% - so I made a guess of 60% and figured I would have to adjust it up or down over time and more data.

So a pair is not a full-house and more data is needed. But - by saying my efficiency is 60% really means I have to use a bit more grain to hit the mark. Is that a correct way to look at it ?

Do I need to make any more corrections or call this close enough ....

Thanks
Some people tell you the old walkin' blues ain't bad
Worst old feelin' that I've ever had ...
-Robert Johnson

Offline MaltLicker

  • Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 2004
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Mini-Mash efficiency
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »
My efficiency was poor with partial mash and even full mash in the kitchen.  It's tough to get a good solid rinse of the grains, and tough to keep the grains at 168F.  I think I used 65% in the software. 

As you're dialing it in, I'd recommend using a lower EE% and adding water to dilute, which is much easier than needing DME to boost.  And constantly tweak your rinse/sparge methods to improve the EE%. 

One thing I did was get the boil going with maybe four gallons of wort (in typical 5 gal pot), and then after the boilover threat had passed, I'd add final runnings to top off pot up to maximum safe boiling level.