• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hard Drive crash! What do i need to restore/backup?

T

tacoguthrie

So the HD on my laptop has crashed.  It's still under warranty so I'll be getting a new one.  Right now I do have access to the files on it and I wanted to know what I should save in order to be able to reinstall and get all my recipes.

I'm assuming I just download a fresh version and enter in my key.  However I would like to at least copy over my old recipes.

What file are they stored in?  Are there any other files/folders I should be saving while i can?

thanks

C:\Program Files\BeerSmith    (your drive may differ)

is usually where the various .bsm files are kept.  We all should make and keep back-ups of Recipe.bsm, plus any other .bsm files that we have modified from the originals.  Equipment profiles, grains, yeasts, water profiles.  Anything you don't want to recreate from scratch in the event of disaster. 

C:\Program Files\BeerSmith\templates      (your drive may differ)

is usually where reports are kept.  If you've created and use any custom reports, you'd want those too. 

Great!  Thanks for the reply.  I have saved that folder and I'm glad I don't need to plow deep into windows file folders to save anything else.

cheers!

just copy the whole folder to your new computer,  you may need to enter your key (Brad can help you with that if you lost it.)

Fred

Unfortunately this recipe saving reinstall has not worked.

I've tried two methods, both mentioned above.

1 - I copied my old beersmith folder from Program Files/Beersmith off my old drive.  Then I downloaded fresh copy of beersmith from web and  installed.  Imported recipes.bsm from previous Beersmith folder but they aren't there.  there is a recipe_1.bak in there - would something be in there?

so that wasn;t working so I tried plan b:

2 - I copied the old Beersmith folder to desktop and ran the setup from that folder.  Beersmith installed but without any saved settings or recipes.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Btw I was running vista but installed Windows 7 on the new HD.

Thanks!

Copy the old folder/files to the new directory.  At this stage I think that is all you need

bonjour said:
Copy the old folder/files to the new directory.  At this stage I think that is all you need

That didn't work either.  I'm starting to wonder if my recipes weren't stored in Program Files/Beersmith??

I also backed up a folder called Beersmith_14_installer but I've tried the same steps with that folder.

I'm ready to just re-enter my recipes from the brewsheets i have printed out.

I found where the recipes are stored.  they are in

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

Of course you will have to change the "john" to your user name.  I copied that folder into my new computer's equivalent folder and it worked just fine.  All my recipes were still there.  wheeewwww!!!

Back