• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question on Efficiency tool in Beersmith

G

gedc

Guys

The beers i turn out are very drinkable and generally I find Beersmith easy to use. One thing  still confuses me and given its repeatable with each brew I am guessing its a setting i have inputted

My OG going into the boiler ( i.e out of mash tun)  is always higher than the target OG by a few points, however post boil its always lower than target by a few points.

The volume of wort out of the mash tun into the boiler is generally not too far off.  I may have to add a few hundred mls of water to top up the pre boil volume but always take the reading after I do this to compare like for like i.e a lower volume of water would give a higher OG...

Why during the boil off would a higher than expected gravity become a lower than expected gravity ?

If the above makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot then please ask and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks for any help

Ged

Because you are not boiling off enough. Boil longer or stronger, or adjust your evaporation rate in the equipment profile you are using.

BTW - how exactly are you measuring SG? Are you allowing the sample to cool to 60 before taking the reading?

Back