• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rice and Barley Beer

CR

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
The most traditional American beer is rice based.  Colonists had lots of rice but little barley.

Once, long ago, I enjoyed Budweiser  (a rice beer)  on any given hot  summer day. My memory tells me it was light crisp refreshing and slightly fruity. That when I lifted the glass to my lips the beer literally disappeared it was so enjoyable.
I don't know whether Bud went to hell or  my tastes matured  but I can no longer stomach Bud.  The use of  corn syrup didn't help either  it gave it a gluey mouth feel.

I'd like to re create that memory (even if it's a false one).  But I wonder what one must do to make a good rice based beer.
The American Colonists used rice extensively.  I have never heard about the colonists using any form of  kome koji rice, or koji kin.
Is it  decoction mashing that converts the  rice starches to sugar?
I haven't seen a rice beer formula. 

would it be best to try  kome koji in the mashing tun? Must I use a certain kind of rice?
What  did the colonists do?

Do some research on "Classic American Pilsner" or start with a German or Bohemian Pilsener.

The key to the CAP is a "Cereal Mash"  Sometimes refered to as a Double Mash.  Raw grains atre typically boiled for about an hour before adding to a mash,  Be sure to cool them to mash temp before adding.

Fred

I have used Minute Rice (gelatinized rice) with some semblance of success.  ;)

Recipe attached.

Cheers
Preston

Attachments

• spudz Evil Clone.bsm
    14.1 KB · Views: 268
Back