• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

When Kegging

H

hyrdr

Has anyone here had any experiences with adding priming sugars to a keg while racking????

I use Co2. There are a few ways to do it.
1. Up the pressure to 35lb and let that stay for 3 days, then bring it down to pouring presures
2. Set the regulator to pouring pressures and let it sit for a week. (This is what i do)

I have my regulator set for 10psi for everything. Some people tweak this for every beer, and so did I for a while. I have since settled on one setting and that is where it stays.

Cheers
Preston

I have added priming sugar to a keg while racking. This works well, but it takes some patience. I always use DME, and use nearly twice what any calculator recommends. Usually 1/4-1/3 cup works well. Don't worry too much about over doing it; a corny keg is rated up to 130 psi, and won't blow up like a bottle will.

Darin

Darin
Do you let the DME prime the keg, or both CO2 and the DME?

Does it create a mini-krausen in the keg, or ever gunk up the serving process?  Thx

MaltLicker - Just DME to prime the keg. I do push out all the sanitizer with CO2 to purge the oxygen and minimize oxidation; but beyond that, I don't add any CO2 other than to serve the beer. Unless of course the beer is flat, which happens from time to time. I have never noticed any sort of krausen, except the one time I used a champagne yeast to carbonate a belgian tripel. It was minimal, and didn't affect the serving process too much. I poured about two pints of pure yeast when I first tapped the keg and the rest of it was beautiful.

Darin

Back