• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Taste Field Truncating

bspisak

Brewer
Reaction score
Looks like the Taste Field is truncating longer entries.  I'm finding it convenient to use this field to not only describe the taste, but my notes on what to change the next time I brew. 

Since memory and disk is cheap these days, can you increase the size of this field to allow longer entries?

Thanks!

bspisak said:
Looks like the Taste Field is truncating longer entries.  I'm finding it convenient to use this field to not only describe the taste, but my notes on what to change the next time I brew. 

Since memory and disk is cheap these days, can you increase the size of this field to allow longer entries?

Thanks!

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I find the notes area at the bottom of the recipe view to be very helpful.  Maybe using that for your brewing notes might help.  I don't use the taste area so cannot comment on that aspect.

Thanks!

Yes, I do use the Notes field as well.  Here's the thing - you can enter as much text into the Taste field as you want, but if it's too much, the program just throws it away without a warning or anything.

To Repro:
* Open a recipe
* Enter over 256 characters of text into the Taste field
* Click OK
* Re-open the recipe
* Look for your text in the taste field. If you entered too much, it will simply be cutoff.

There should at the very least be checking on that input form to prevent inadvertent loss of data.  However, usually it's just much easier to declare that field larger.  But that's just MHO.  Regardless if you use it or not, it should work, right? ;-)

Brian

Ahhhh, the lights went off.  I can see where it would be frustrating.  I know Brad is working on the next version and he is very active on this site as well.

Again, welcome and feel free to contribute and ask more questions.

Hi,
  Sorry but the current version had fixed length records for many fields.  This is a limitation we are removing in the next version.

Brad

That's great! Nice to see active development. You just made me a customer.

Thanks!

Back