• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kilt Lifter and a new smoked malt

DVDaniels

Brewer
Reaction score
I just got a batch of the kilt lifter going last weekend and my malt supplier just sent me info about a cherrywood smoked Briess malt. Has anyone tried this malt? If I replace the regular smoked malt should it be 1 to 1? Better to go higher?

The original batch is strong and is going to take a while (Mad scientist in the making). I want to start a second and try this new malt but being that it is new.

Thanks in advance...

The beauty of homebrewing is that you can brew any beer anyway you want, so my answer reflects style issues.

I have had several brew made with the new Briess smoked malt and it does a wonderful job.

Scotch Ale and smoke.  Historically all malting was performed with an open fire, this imparted a smokey flavor to the beer and it was considered a very non-desirable flavor.  Maltsters/Brewers worked hard to remove this flavor from the beer.  I just rechecked Noonan's Scotch Ale book and NONE of the recipes use a smoked malt.  Smoked malt is not needed in a Wee Heavy, and the smoked character is thought to come from the yeast used.

In my Kilt Lifter recipe I use just enough smoked malt to get the the person asking is that smoke I'm getting.  If they say that's smoke in there then the smoke was overdone.  I did it to add a level of complexity.  In no way is it intended to be identified as smoke.  With the new Briess smoked malt which I percieve as a stronger smoke character than traditional rauch malt, I would cut back to 1 oz in a nearly 30 pound malt bill,  jusk looking to hint at it.  Rauch maly loses it's potency over time so if the grain is relatively old I use more.

Fred

Back