• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sanitizing bottles in a dishwasher

stoloma

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've read many threads where people are using their dishwasher to sanitize or clean bottles. I know you shouldn't use the regular detergent but does anyone know if the rinse agent (like JetDri) will affect the head on the beer?

Thanks

The rinse agent has a negative effect on the head of a beer, at least for glasses, But I have not seen anything on the impact on bottles run thru a dishwasher.

Only b/c it's not made for brewing, I would not recommend it. 
I used to just wash the bottles with no additives on a "sanitizing" cycle of heated wash, and heated dry that my washer offers.  Then I started using a bottle rinsing gadget with StarSan just prior to loading the dishwasher, and I dump the leftover StarSan into the washer.  Preston recently suggested spraying the inside with StarSan which I just added to the pre-game routine.  (We clean/rinse our dishes well before washing, so the washer itself stays fairly clean.)

Hi,

I know it's a popular conception that you can use the dishwasher to clean and sanitize bottles but this is not effective - dishwashers were simply not meant to reach inside the small necks of bottles. You will end up with some very clean bottles and other that are just plain dirty. No amount of heat will effectively sanitize bottles that are dirty inside.

- a

I think most people would agree with you not to use the dishwasher for cleaning your bottles.
I use oxyclean and a bottle brush to get the gunk out then rinse very well, then just use the dishwasher and the heat cycle to zap the bottles with steam for a good length of time.
stevemwazup

I clean my bottles with B-Brite and a bottle brush then let them dry then I put a 2" x 2" piece of tin foil over the top of the bottle and stack them in the oven on the lower rack (48 bottles will fix standing up). I bake them at 350 degrees for 90 minutes and allow them to cool over night this is suppose to not only sanitize them but also sterilize them. As long as the tin foil is left on top they will remain sterilized. I am not sure about the sterilization but I have never had a problem and its pretty easy to do.

I work for Electrolux -we make dishwashers.  I made a spray rack from pvc pipe and got the parts that connect to the water port for the top rack sprayer.  I load 24 bottles on the rack which shoots water/soap up into the bottles on the glass express cycle. Works really good but to be sure I still rinse them as soon as the cycle is done. I also load bottles on the rack, hook it to the faucet in my laundry tub and use non rinse to remove the labels. Then just carry upstairs to the d/w.

ggltd said:
I work for Electrolux -we make dishwashers.  I made a spray rack from pvc pipe and got the parts that connect to the water port for the top rack sprayer.  I load 24 bottles on the rack which shoots water/soap up into the bottles on the glass express cycle. Works really good but to be sure I still rinse them as soon as the cycle is done. I also load bottles on the rack, hook it to the faucet in my laundry tub and use non rinse to remove the labels. Then just carry upstairs to the d/w.

What kind of fitting do you need to connect it as you have?

Cheers
Preston

Back