• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing Starter Yeast

H

hyrdr

Good evening. I am in day three watching the fermintinstein I am creating. I have the liter flask filled with 2 cups of Bree pilsen LME ans two cups of water. Boiled and cooled.
I added six little happy, carefully poured bottles of Bells two Hearted Ale (minus the ale) swirled into the flask.

I watched as the yeast on the bottom grew  with little fermentation going on and swirrled it up well twice a day.

This morning it began to liven up and this afternoon its bubbling steady.

My question is have I over done the Bree? Will it make off alcohals? I expected this to take a week or more for this much action with the small amount of yeast I poured from the bottlesbut i think I may already have a half inch of yeast in the bottom. Should I slow it down in the fridge??

I am attempting to clone a Two Hearted Ale. Making five gallons How much yeast will need?

yeats2.jpg

Thanks

Your starter looks good. All the activity you described seems normal. Looks to me like you have plenty of yeast in that starter to thoroughly ferment 5 gallons. Good luck!

Darin

Call me crazy but I like to get a nice size starter and would probably let this finish in the flask then chill it to drop the yeast out of suspension. Now here is where people may call me crazy but I would then drain off what I could without disturbing the settled yeast then bring back to fermentation temp slowly and add fresh wort.

Right now I use 3 liter lab bottles and slowly build that up to maximize yeast growth. I like to pitch a lot of yeast though since I started on the bigger beers.

Back