• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bits of yeast in bottles...

T

therobot

I know it's likely yeast, but when I opened up a beer today I noticed that the yeast clump on the bottom was unusually large, and when I tilted it actual chunks broke off. Poured the beer, tastes fine, but has little suspended pieces of what's likely yeast in it.  This beer was brewed using a highly flocculent yeast, which often clumps in the primary, but I've never seen it in the bottles.  Anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like an infection. If only some of the bottles are that way, then it was your bottling cleaning process. If all of them are that way, it was before bottling.

If it is drinkable, Don't worry about it and drink it fast.

Cheers
Preston

Or, it may be that you are have some bottles holding more trub drained from the bottom of your carboy and concentrated in the bottling bucket at the end of bottling.

I occasionally see floaters at competitions and assume it was the transit and extra handling that led to it breaking free.  I have a dry stout now that has much more yeast on the bottom than I'm used to seeing.

Beyond flocculation, I think yeast vary in how well they "paint" the yeast to the bottom of the bottle.  Some stick better than others. 

Back