Author Topic: Am I dry hopping to my Secondary correctly  (Read 3395 times)

Offline dabeer

• BeerSmith Brewer
Am I dry hopping to my Secondary correctly
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:59:15 AM »
I have an IPA which I need to dry hop on Thursday.  My  plan was to clean and sanitize a nylon bag, and marbles, put the hops and marbles into the nylon bag(to weigh down the bag so it doesn't float) put it into my Carboy first, and then transfer beer.  Is this correct?

Dr Hop

Re: Am I dry hopping to my Secondary correctly
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »
Hi.

I have been dry hopping for a while. i dont use any bags. after primary fermentation and racking just add the chosen hops (direct from the freezer or a new pack) into the secondary fermenting bin and seal it up.

we recently opened a keg of a brew from march. It was dry hopped with amerillo. WOW!!!.

Definately worth doing but try and let it condition properly. the temptation is to drink it too quickly.

Offline dabeer

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
If I am dryhopping without the bag, wont it leave some hop sediment behind, or will it all sink to the bottom.

Dr Hop

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »
It generally sinks to the bottom. If dispensing from a barrel under the secondary fermentation pressure, you  may get the odd hop petal in your first couple of pints but if not just rack it off into whatever you prefer and you should be ok.

Offline 88Q

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »
I've been dry hopping as a normal routine for many years, no bag or marbles, just right into the secondary Never had a problem. And it sure makes a huge difference in the finished product.
88Q

modification