• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Am I dry hopping to my Secondary correctly

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I have an IPA which I need to dry hop on Thursday.  My  plan was to clean and sanitize a nylon bag, and marbles, put the hops and marbles into the nylon bag(to weigh down the bag so it doesn't float) put it into my Carboy first, and then transfer beer.  Is this correct?

Hi.

I have been dry hopping for a while. i dont use any bags. after primary fermentation and racking just add the chosen hops (direct from the freezer or a new pack) into the secondary fermenting bin and seal it up.

we recently opened a keg of a brew from march. It was dry hopped with amerillo. WOW!!!.

Definately worth doing but try and let it condition properly. the temptation is to drink it too quickly.

If I am dryhopping without the bag, wont it leave some hop sediment behind, or will it all sink to the bottom.

It generally sinks to the bottom. If dispensing from a barrel under the secondary fermentation pressure, you  may get the odd hop petal in your first couple of pints but if not just rack it off into whatever you prefer and you should be ok.

I've been dry hopping as a normal routine for many years, no bag or marbles, just right into the secondary Never had a problem. And it sure makes a huge difference in the finished product.

Back